Costumes, Contests, and Costume Contests

Raising the Roof at Barn Party 

By Annaliese Grellmann 

From board games to Mario Kart and multiple photo booths, there was something everyone could enjoy. On Saturday night, Oct. 30, over 500 students packed into the WEC for one of ASWWU Social’s biggest annual events: Barn Party.  

Students had the opportunity to show off their costumes on stage by entering four different costume contests: best incorporation of a mask, which was sponsored by Student Health and Wellness, best couple/duo, most original, and best group. Students came in creative costumes such as characters from “Finding Nemo,” the Spice Girls, cereals, and cowboys. The photo booths allowed students to go home with a group photo and photo strip to commemorate the night.  

ASWWU Photo was onsite to take attendee’s photos.

This year’s Barn Party had a packed program with something new happening every 15 minutes. Students participated in a pie-eating contest on stage, challenged friends to a round of blow-up jousting, and dunked faculty members as well as the ASWWU President in the dunk tank.  

The events incorporated groups from all over campus. The Wii Mario Kart tournament was hosted by OPS and the bubble soccer tournament was hosted by the Center for Humanitarian Engagement. All evening, students could enter a raffle at the Black Student Christian Forum booth and play corn hole at the Student Health and Wellness booth. The night ended with a swing dancing lesson taught by students. 

Excellent attendance, creative costumes, a full program with a wide range of activities, and collaboration across campus groups all pointed to the success of this year’s Barn Party.