A Valued Freedom

A Valued Freedom

Three Lessons About Our Personal Redemption 

By Mitchell Powers 

Freedom from labor laws, from oppression, from war, and from harsh and negative events are profound and at the peak of what humanity recalls as examples of freedom. However, the most critical freedom that should be recognized is that of personal redemption from sin provided by Jesus. From the story of Exodus in the Bible, Christians today find a strong parallel towards their own freedom from sin and three lessons on a valued freedom. 

On July 4, 1776, the United States declared independence from Britain. [1] To this day, citizens celebrate the freedom that fateful day evoked. A couple thousand years prior, the Israelites experienced their own version of freedom from their slavery in Egypt. There weren’t cannons, guns, or ships, but there were plagues, prophets, and pillars of fire. [2] Since that point, the people of God, like the citizens of the United States, or any other liberated country, celebrate their freedom.  

However, the freedom of the Israelites goes far beyond the borders of the ancient Egyptian territory. The Exodus freedom story is one that paints a picture to our own internal freedom from the human condition. Freedom from sin. In a master’s thesis, Silvia Bacchiocchi proposed that the Exodus provides a proper model of Christian spirituality, the proper “dwelling” or leaning and following of Christ in that we then are redeemed. [3] 

The Exodus story is not just a story, but a road map to how we experience freedom from sin. Exodus is a biblical parallel to that of redemption. The narrative suggests three core lessons for people of faith today and the experience of freedom from sin. 

1. God is in control. In the Exodus story, God called out Moses and worked through him, God caused the plagues, God split the sea and shut the sea, and God brought shade and warmth for the Israelite nation. [4] It was God who carried out the previously enslaved nation, and it is God who carries us out of our sin. Eugene Peterson suggested that we ought to have an open posture in our spirituality that we might let God rightfully be in control just as the Israelite nation let God take lead in their exodus. [5] 
  1. Trust the process. For the Israelites there were a lot of confused and worried moments, but they had to trust the process of following God. In our freedom from the human condition, we too must trust God in the process of redemption. 
  1. Lean into God’s presence. As the Israelites journeyed over barren land and deserts, they were accompanied by God’s presence via a cloud to shade them during the day and a pillar of fire at night to keep them warm. [6] Each effort on God’s part was to keep them alive. In our freedom from sin, we must lean into God’s presence in order to “stay alive.” 

1. Jefferson, Thomas. “The declaration of independence.” (1776). 
  1. Exodus 8-14, NIV 
  1. Bacchiocchi, Silvia Canale, “Towards a Biblical Spirituality: Dwelling with God through the Exodus Sanctuary-Covenant Structure” (2019). Master’s Theses. 129.  
    https://digitalcommons.andrews.edu/theses/129 
  1. Exodus 8-14, NIV 
  1. Peterson, Eugene H. “The Exodus propaedeutic for spiritual formation.” Reformed Review 57, no. 1 (2003). 
  1. Exodus 13:21-22, NIV