Plant Daddy William Frohne

Plant Daddy William Frohne

Care For Plants, They’ll Care for You  

By Ben Wexler  

Most of you know William Frohne, junior physical education major, for his ability to transport us into untouched nature through photography and leave us in awe of his skills on the soccer field. But he has yet another hobby that The Collegian was lucky enough to interview him about—plants!  

We all know how cluttered the dorm rooms can get throughout the quarter, but Frohne manages and maintains six plants along with his roommate in his small Sittner room. “Most notably I have two monsteras, a cornstalk that’s about three feet tall, a jade plant, and a cactus. The only one that’s named is Fred and he’s the biggest monstera at five feet tall.” From photos alone, it is evident that the implementation of plants has brought to life the once dull Sittner space. [1] 

Maintaining your plants by getting them adequate sunlight and making sure to not overwater them is the key to their longevity. Photo by William Frohne.

Frohne has learned the skill of curating his space to be as livable as possible. “Plants genuinely boost my overall quality of life, and they improve my mood. I have a big monstera right next to my bed and the first thing I see in the morning is jungle leaves in my face and I love that.” [2] 

This daily serenity of life with plants would be impossible without routine plant care. Frohne ensures that his blinds are open during the day “because light is obviously, you know, really important if you’re a plant.” For best watering practices, “check the soil twice a week in case it’s extra dry because the soil should stay moist, but you really need to look up how to properly care for plants.” Frohne’s succulents, however, have thrived on only one watering per month. [3] 

Plant care was passed down from Frohne’s mother who showed him the ropes. One of the most important lessons that she emphasized was that more plants die from overwatering than underwatering. “You know you love your plant to death literally because you’re watering it too much because you want to keep it alive.” [4] 

Having plants in your dorm room can bring life to the space and make it more homely. Photo by William Frohne.

If you don’t know where to get started in the plant game, Frohne suggested that rather than starting with a plant you might not be entirely devoted to, make the investment into a plant that you will love and enjoy nurturing. [5] 

George Bowers working in the Science Building chemistry lab.

“This doesn’t apply to all plants, but a lot of the house plants can live for 60 to 70 years. If you keep your plants around that long, you can look back at your plants and remember that it was in your dorm room in college and think about all those memories. Maybe get a plant that you can keep with you.” expressed Frohne. It is important to choose a plant that matches your lifestyle. [6] 

1. Interview with William Frohne, 4/22/2022.