The Future of Marvel

The Future of Marvel

How “Spiderman: No Way Home” Hints Towards a New Future 

By Stevan Crary 

Spider Tingle (again): If you read my last article, I suggested you swing to your local theater to watch “Spiderman: No Way Home.” If you haven’t already, I would recommend more than last time because there are some large spoilers. [1] 

It is easy to say that Spiderman is an American staple almost as gratifying as bread. The character was only created in 1962, that’s old bread that we have been enjoying for 60 years. Maybe not the brightest analogy, but Spiderman has proven to be a relatable hero to a younger fan base that has grown up with the comics, shows, and films. “Spiderman: No Way Home” captured the nostalgia of Spiderman while telling a compelling story with “Avengers: Endgame” to stake a new age of Marvel. [2] 

In “Spiderman: No Way Home”, Peter tries to rescue some villains against the doctor’s wishes leading to a fun sequence. Photo by Marvel.  

First off, having the Tobey Maguire, Andrew Garfield, and Tom Holland versions of Spiderman and their respective villains all sharing the same screen brought cries of joy and even a few tears from the audience. An emotional response at this level is something extraordinary.  

In addition, we even had a cameo with Matt Murdock played by Charlie Cox from “Daredevil” as the lawyer for Tom Holland’s Spiderman. [2] This is a very promising reveal on Marvel’s part because they may be hinting towards a more connected universe in the future. This builds upon other hints such as the X-Men Quicksilver cameo in “WandaVision.” These are exciting times. [3] 

Also, Ned’s “magic fingers” might suggest the beginning of Young Avengers, the comic younger counterparts of the Avengers we know and love. This is favorable considering the Young Avengers have a history with the X-Men. It is not far-fetched to believe that we will see our favorite X-Men, TV show heroes, and new additions in the future. 

Furthermore, there was some concern that the inclusion of our childhood Spidermen would be mere cameos and would not bring anything meaningful to the story. The movie handled this with acrobatic ease. 

When Garfield’s Spiderman saved MJ after falling off some scaffolding, there seemed to be a great weight of relief and resolution to Gwen’s death in the “Amazing Spiderman.” “What I appreciated is that they brought Garfield’s story to a close,” said Tori Johnson, a senior film major, “It was kind of left open-ended.” [4] MJ’s rescue was a long-awaited payoff for audiences who have been watching Spiderman films all this time. 

In “Spiderman: No Way Home”, We get to see the Iron Spider suit that Tony Stark gifted Peter before his death. Photo by Marvel.  

This redemption is the tip of the iceberg for the film’s emotional weight. The Tom Holland Spiderman in the past felt very lighthearted, but they did not hold back this time. Aunt May’s death arguably made the movie darker, but in turn, we got to see a new side of Spiderman we had not seen before. 

“Spiderman: No Way Home” was filled to the brim with references like Garfield offering McGuire a back adjustment and, yes, the famous comic book meme of all the Peter Parkers pointing at each other. These references and the film’s emotional weight make it well worth a watch.  

1. Watts, J. (Director). (2021). Spiderman: No Way Home [Motion picture]. Marvel.  
  1. Russo, A & J. (Directors). (2019). Avengers: EndGame [Motion picture]. Marvel.  
  1. Shakman, M. (Creator). (2021). Wandavision [Television]. Marvel. 
  1. Interview with Tori Johnson, 1/5/2022.