Trust in the WWU Community

Trust in the WWU Community

The Role Trust Plays in Relationships 

By Brooklin Painter 

To decide what forms a united and healthy community at Walla Walla University, The Collegian interviewed two students on campus to help decipher whether trust plays an important role in maintaining and building healthy social relationships. 

Aspen Forshee, a freshman nursing major, said trust is the foundation to form and build relationships. “You can’t have a relationship without trust,” said Forshee. She described trust as being a loyal person that one can depend upon; someone who will not let you down. [1] 

Taylor Boatright, a sophomore nursing major, said trust is an important factor in building and maintaining social relationships. Boatright defined trust as “when I feel like I can talk to somebody, or they can talk to me and be fully vulnerable without fear of being judged.” [2] 

Having a trusting relationship can create an impact on one’s life. Forshee said she feels loved because of the role trust plays in her relationships. Boatright said trust has made an impactful difference in her life because she had experienced deep connections within her relationships. 

According to Forshee and Boatright, trust also plays an important role in forming a healthy community.  

Forshee said, “It’s more important in small communities to have trust. If you have trust in your community, then you can enjoy it. When you trust other people, you’re going to feel comfortable enough to share vulnerable things about yourself, trust that they can keep your secrets, and trust that they can help you move forward in life. Since you’re building that relationship, and you build that trust, then you’re also helping each other be good people.” [3] 

Boatright said, “I think the community as a whole needs to trust each other on a bigger scale. I think if we all trust each other, then we all will have this understanding of each other that makes the community run a lot more smoothly and you don’t have to investigate everybody’s life choices. It’s just an understanding that everyone can do their own thing and the community will still run.” [4] 

When Forshee was asked if there is trust on the University campus, she said that in some ways, our community has trust and in others ways, we do not. To Forshee, trust on campus appears to be knowing people for who they are, but it would be beneficial to be transparent to others about one’s intentions and beliefs. She said it would give the community no reason to not trust each other.  For example, Forshee surrounded herself with good people, which gave her trust in the community. 

Allowing yourself to open up, connect, and trust others can help create more of a feeling of community on campus. Photo by Abigail Lombard. Taken on 2/17/2022. Source: aswwu.smugmug.com

When Boatright was asked if there is trust on the University campus, she said she sees trust in some of the clubs. “For example, there’s a lot of trust and safety found in the Haven club. I think you don’t have to have trust in the whole entire school and the whole entire school system, but if you can find a community within your community that you can trust, it can bring a lot of people together at school,” said Boatright. [5] 

Both Forshee and Boatright feel that they have trust in the campus community. Forshee said she felt trust in the community when she began to be a part of it by socializing and interacting with others outside of her friend group. “When you allow yourself to be vulnerable and share personal things about yourself with other people, you find that there’s a lot more people out there who are trustworthy,” said Forshee. [6] 

Based on these answers, we can conclude that trust plays a key role in building and maintaining healthy relationships. One can find a trustworthy community on campus if they branch out, be vulnerable, and interact with those around you. 

Boatright leaves the WWU campus with one piece of advice for putting trust in others. Boatright said, “It’s really hard to put trust in other people, and there are going to be a lot of people that fall through on you and make you kind of feel like you can’t trust people. But there are people out there who care a lot, people who will show that they care about you by holding on to your trust and not doing anything to shake that.” [7] 

1. Interview with Aspen Forshee, 4/20/2022. 
  1. Interview with Taylor Boatright, 4/20/2022. 
  1. Ibid

Photos 

1. Cover Photo. Photo by Juliana Conrad. Taken on 4/12/2022. Source: aswwu.smugmug.com 
  1. BSCF Open Mic Night. Allowing yourself to open up, connect, and trust others can help create more of a feeling of community on campus. Photo by Abigail Lombard. Taken on 2/17/2022. Source: aswwu.smugmug.com