The Early Bird Catches the Christmas Spirit

Christmas Time Seems to Start Earlier and Earlier Every Year 

By Israel Gutierrez 

Why is it that every time midnight hits after Halloween, everybody instantly has their Christmas decorations up? 

Getting in the Christmas spirit. Photo by Moving.com. 

This year we have been plagued with a series of unfortunate events we call 2020, which makes the instantaneous switch from spooky season to spreading the Christmas cheer almost completely warranted. 

One of the great things about Christmas time is the music. The classics playing every year at this time always warm our cold hearts from seasonal depression. 

Still, society needs to get on the same page. At what point is it appropriate to start blasting and lip-syncing Mariah Carey in the Starbucks drive-thru? 

Don’t get me wrong, Christmas music is great. However, having to hear the same five songs on repeat for two months straight everywhere you go can be a little much. 

I think the root of the problem is that Thanksgiving doesn’t really have much going for it. Sure, we get to eat pumpkin pie, but when you really think about it, there’s no difference between Thanksgiving food and Christmas food. 

Everybody’s favorite green Christmas thief. Photo by Lex18.com. 

Also, there doesn’t seem to be any Thanksgiving anthems. I’m willing to bet money that nobody has ever said, “Yo, you heard that new Thanksgiving song?” Not once has that sentence been uttered until now. 

Maybe there are some, but Justin Bieber never sang “under the cornucopia,” he sang “under the mistletoe.” Also, what on earth is a cornucopia? 

Another thing is that everybody says they’re thankful for everything they have, yet immediately after Thanksgiving, those same people are rioting inside Walmart for the last 4K TV on Black Friday. It makes no sense. 

Christmas time gives many of us a happy and warm feeling. The festivities are as old as time. The story of Jesus’s birth, baking cookies, making a gingerbread house, watching Christmas movies on TV while drinking hot cocoa—the list goes on. 

No words need to be said, amazing. Photo by Genius.com. 

Thanksgiving just isn’t anywhere on the same level as Christmas, and I think that’s why people act like it doesn’t exist. Aside from the grim reality of what occurred after the Pilgrims and Native Americans shared a meal together, there just isn’t a truly differentiating factor for the holiday. 

This year is unlike any other year most of us have lived through. Christmas will likely look a little different this year with all the preventative measures people are taking to stay safe from the pandemic. 

While things are nowhere near perfect right now, maybe this year we can truly appreciate the Christmas spirit and the happiness it brings. If anytime is appropriate to play Christmas music early, now is that time.