Good Bones Day

Good Bones Day

What TikTok Taught Me This Week 

By Ashley Herber  

Recently I added a new item to my morning routine: checking the weather to see if the day will have bones or not. For those of you who have not yet adopted this habit, let me elaborate.  

The owner of a 13-year-old Pug named Noodle started posting a daily TikTok where he stands his dog up to see if he woke up with the energy to use his bones. Either the pug stands up, implying he woke up with bones and therefore the day will be good, or the pug flops down, in which case the day is unquestionably bad and declared a “no bones day.”  

The TikTok account, @jongraz, currently has 2.7 million followers, and millions more tune in every day for a forecast. Noodle has become gen-z’s daily version of Punxsutawney Phil.  

Why do people care so much about whether or not a pug woke up with bones? I am not qualified to answer such a profound question. However, I can tell you why I care. I care if today is a “bones day” or a “no bones day” simply because it gives me something small to look forward to.    

Noodle’s daily appearance on my for-you page has brought me joy, and for this reason I encourage you to find something to look forward to everyday. College can move by very fast. Stressful, busy, and tiring are all commonly used words in our repertoire as students. For this reason, find something each day that allows you to slow down, breath, be grateful, and smile.  

Bones Day Weather Forecast. Photo by Julia Reinstein.

It doesn’t matter if this is watching a silly video, curling up with a hot cup of tea, taking a walk outside, or watching an old pug predict how the day will go. All that matters is that the activity you choose interests you and gives you something to look forward to. That’s because having something to look forward to—I can attest—makes you appreciate the sweet small things in your day.  

Now go forth and have a good bones day.