Letter From the Editor

Letter From the Editor

By Josh Beaudoin 

Hello Everyone, 

I was recently asked about how The Collegian can explore topics like sexuality and LGBTQ+ issues while operating within the framework that “Walla Walla University is founded on Christian teachings and values as understood and appreciated by the Seventh-day Adventist Church.” [1] 

If we were being lazy, we probably wouldn’t. Adventist teachings are clear when they state that “scripture condemns homosexual practices in strongly negative terms,” [2] and in practice this is often applied to the LGBTQ+ community at large.  

But we as Christians, Adventist, and students of WWU have a duty to question why we believe what we believe. Why does scripture say the things it does? How do we apply God’s word in the Bible—spoken thousands of years ago—to our lives today? And are all doctrines of the church true to Biblical principles, or are some bound by traditions? 

Some people might get uncomfortable asking these questions—some angry. But at The Collegian, our goal is to explore topics from a variety of perspectives in an attempt to unearth the “why” and prompt change. 

God does not call us to blind obedience. When Jesus came to earth, most people were happy to continue in the same beliefs they were taught as children, and because of that, they were oblivious that the Savior of the world was standing in their midst. 

Over the past three weeks, The Collegian has been working on our first ever deep dive. This is an article where we cover many aspects of a topic to provide a comprehensive understanding of the subject matter. We explore the ethics of the University’s housing policy, Title IX and religious exemptions, how students and administration feel about these policies, and how those exemptions and policies affect LGBTQ+ people. 

We also have an excellent article by Brant Berglin, professor of Biblical studies at WWU, where he begins to lay out the church’s view on sexuality. Be sure to check it out. 

If you’d like to submit a response to any of the articles we cover, past or present, email it to collegian@wallawalla.edu. Responses should be under 600 words and are subject to our regular editing process.  

Josh Beaudoin 

Editor-in-Chief 

1. Walla Walla Walla (n.d.). Our missionhttps://www.wallawalla.edu/about-wwu/general-information/our-mission/  
  1. General Conference of Seventh-day Adventist. (2018). Seventh-day Adventist believe. Review and Harald Publishing Association.