Letter From the Editor

Letter From the Editor

Addressing our Issue on Porn 

By Joshua Beaudoin 

Hi Everyone, 

It appears that over this past week we made some people very uncomfortable, and I couldn’t be happier. When I became editor-in-chief, I vowed to cover topics from a variety of viewpoints in ways that would make people think, and that they might disagree with. 

I never expect people to agree with everything we publish, however, I hope they agree with some of it, which is why whenever we cover a sensitive topic, we always present multiple sides of the issue. For example, in last week’s issue on porn, “On Porn” got quite a bit of attention and was often misunderstood, but we had also published “Let’s Talk About Porn” which talked about human trafficking and the addiction aspect, among other things. 

When we publish an issue, we publish the articles together for a reason. We hope you will read them together as an issue, instead of reading a single one and drawing inaccurate conclusions about our position or that of Walla Walla University. No article exists in a vacuum, and we hope each of our readers will read our articles together. For those who like to pick and choose the articles they read, or who do not even read the articles and instead rely on the heated opinions of friends, there is only so much we can do as an organization to ensure that you are informed. At some point it is up to you. 

I am reminded of a quote by Harlan Ellison which says, “You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.” [1] 

If you would ever like to submit a formal response to an article, send it to collegian@wallawalla.edu

Stay safe, 

Josh Beaudoin 

Editor-in-Chief 

1.  Ellison, H. (n.d.). A quote by Harlan Ellison. Goodreadshttps://bit.ly/3H5J5Wh