New Era of Sci-Fi

New Era of Sci-Fi

Dune is the Next Big Film 

By Stevan Crary 

The sounds of foreign beats and breathtaking visuals only begin to describe the newest masterpiece on the block. “Dune” harkens in a new age of sci-fi that is visually thrilling and masterfully crafted. This film is now showing in theaters, and HBO Max is worth the attention. It is awe-inspiringly fresh for those looking for something new. [1] 

This film, based on the book “Dune” by Frank Herbert, is about Paul Atreides (played by Timothée Chalamet), the son of a noble lord who has a great destiny beyond his understanding. He must travel to the most hostile planet of the universe to secure the future of his family and people. This story of a son of a lord navigating the intricacies of politics has rich detail that feels like it was ripped right out of the time of the Holy Roman Empire.  

“Paul Atreides paying respect” – Paul performs a special salute to pay respect in this world. by Warner Bros. Pictures.

“Dune” does what any good sci-fi does, combining natural history and different genres to make unique experiences and feelings. Elijah Baez, history and literature major, gets excited as the credits roll. “The elements that make Dune special are the same elements that made Star Wars special,” said Baez as he sat up in his theater seat. “It leaves me with unique feelings that I don’t think is a bad thing.” [2] “Star Wars” was known for combining samurai and western film genres in a storyline resembling World War II. It allowed its viewers to reflect on historical events and how they have affected society from a different perspective. Similarly, “Dune” seems to pull inspiration from western history.  

For historical reflection and articulate filmmaking, “Dune” is highly recommended. Many of the best talents in the industry worked on this film such as Denis Villeneuve, the director of “Bladerunner 2049,” and Hans Zimmer, who has scored all our favorite films from “Pirates of the Caribbean” to “Interstellar.” In addition, it is packed with a cast of audience favorites like Timothée Chalamet, Zendaya Stoermer Coleman, and Jason Momoa.  

Out of the recent movie theater releases, “Dune” is worth buying a ticket and seeing it on a big screen.  

1. Villeneuve, D. (Director). (2002). Dune [Motion picture] Warner Bros. Pictures. 
  1. Interview with Elijah Baez, 10/25/21.