The Ultimate List

The Ultimate List

A Movie & Show Survival Kit 

By Stevan Crary 

The winter quarter can be challenging, but it can be less stressful with a few good movies and TV shows to lift your spirit. Here are some fantastic motion pictures to check out in your free time.  

Starting the list off is “Murderville.” [1] This Netflix series follows Terry Seattle who brings celebrity guests to solve murder mysteries. The celebrities featured in the show include Conan O’Brien, Marshawn Lynch, Kumail Nanjiani, Annie Murphy, Sharon Stone, and Ken Jeong. All of it is improved, so it’s amusing, especially Conan O’Brian in episode one. 

Continuing the theme of murder mysteries, the next one on the list is “Knives Out” (2019). [2] This film is simply brilliant. It’s about Benoit Blanc, played by James Bond (Daniel Craig), who puts on a terrible southern accent for 120 minutes. It’s glorious. Additionally, the story is Oscar-worthy and will keep you on your toes from beginning to end.  

Another film from 2019 is “The Hunt for the Wilderpeople” by “Thor: Ragnarök” director Taika Waititi. It is about a boy and his foster parent escaping a manhunt after being stranded in the New Zealand Forest. The film’s hilarious and heartwarming nature is more than worth the watch. Enough said. [3-4] 

This list wouldn’t be complete without a nature documentary. “Night on Earth” is mind-blowing. [5] With the use of super-sensitive cameras, filmmakers capture our favorite animals’ activities at night, almost as if they are in broad daylight. This one is worth watching on a big screen because of its sheer beauty. 

Next, with the 80’s nostalgia, “Raiders of the Lost Ark” (Indiana Jones) is a fun film to watch if you want to enjoy some Harrison Ford goodness. [6] It is about an archeologist who hunts for dangerous treasures for those who haven’t seen them. So basically, “Red Notice,” but good. [7] 

This list wouldn’t be reputable if it didn’t have Star Wars. “The Book of Boba Fett” is a must-see. It is a remarkable continuation of “The Mandalorian.” And does an excellent job at exploring the surrounding lore to the universe of Star Wars. Ten out of ten. [8-9] 

If you are looking for a new release, look no further. “The Tragedy of Macbeth” is new on Apple TV+ and looks like it will be a unique twist on the old story. It is in black and white and appears to have some film noir qualities that look intriguing. [10] 

“Macbeth Noir Style” from “The Tragedy of Macbeth.” The black and white film noir style coupled with a classy cast is an interesting take on an iconic story. Photo by Apple TV+.

These movies and shows can act as a breath of fresh, entertaining air from the mayhem known as the winter quarter. Take a break and use this excellent list to get started. Everyone needs a break sometimes. Happy watching. 

1. Johnson, K. (Producer). (2022). Murderville [TV series]. Netflix.  
  1. Johnson, R. (Director). (2019). Knives Out [Motion Picture]. T-Street. 
  1. Waititi, T. (Director). (2016). The Hunt for the Wilderpeople [Motion Picture]. Madman Entertainment. 
  1. Waititi, T. (Director). (2017). Thor: Ragnorock [Motion Picture]. Marvel. 
  1. Casey, F. (Producer). (2020). Night on Earth [TV series]. Netflix. 
  1. Spielberg, S. (Director). (1981). Raiders of the Lost Ark [Motion picture]. Disney. 
  1. Thurber, R. (Director). (2021). Red Notice [Motion Picture]. Netflix. 
  1. Bartnicki, J. (Producer). (2021). The Book of Boba Fett [TV series]. Lucasfilm. 
  1. Faveau, J. (Produced). (2019-2022). The Mandalorian [TV series]. Lucasfilm. 
  1. Coen, J. (Director). (2022). The Tragedy of Macbeth (Motion Picture). Apple TV+.