Information Literacy with Christy Scott

Information Literacy with Christy Scott

By Esther Taylor 

Christy Scott, the Associate Librarian of Education Services at the Peterson Memorial Library was a delight to interview. She began working as a Reference Librarian in 2004. I got to know how important her job is at the library and the importance of helping students find the resources they need for their research. She has helped not only undergraduate students, but also masters and doctorate students find the resources they need to do research in their respective courses.  

That said, some common questions students have asked her about research are based around finding the right articles. Since the pandemic has impacted how the library operates, Scott talked about an online chat on the Walla Walla University website that students can go to ask her questions. Another way students can find articles for their research is using the various databases on the website. Knowing that there are alternative options for students to find the information they need shows that Scott and PML value and support students in their education. [1] 

Another part of Scott’s job is having class sessions with students to teach them how to do effective research. During some of her sessions, she has talked about peer reviewed articles, using correct vocabulary in research, and understanding book circulation. According to Scott, classroom information sessions are important to have because, “Students who complete research writing will be prepared to do research methods.” [2] It is important for students to know how to do research in their field specific classes. In other words, the more students are introduced to and familiar with how to do research, the easier it will be for them when the time comes for them to use databases, keywords, and other important tools to help them find the articles and studies they will need. Another component of Scott’s class sessions is discipline specific instruction. This consists of helping students set goals for themselves to better help them understand how to research effectively.  

Scott wears many hats when it comes to her job, and she takes her job seriously. This is shown in her knowledge about information literacy. According to the International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions website, “Information literacy is a cornerstone for lifelong learning.” [3] Research helps students to look at a topic in a different way and to have a better understanding of it. When it comes to students knowing what information to use and not to use in their research Scott said, “…provide the opportunity for students to think about which information deserves their attention and where to find that information.” [4] Information literacy is key to knowing what articles are important to use in your research. 

As college students, it is important for us to know how to research. When we are not sure of how to go about it, visiting the WWU website will help. According to the Education and Research section on the website, “Education & Research Services are available to help students learn how to use and evaluate library sources for their research as well as helping students locate unusual or difficult to find sources.” [5] If you are ever struggling with and have questions about how to research, Christy Scott is the one to go to! 

1. Interview with Christy Scott.  
  1. Information literacy section – IFLA. (n.d.). International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions. https://www.ifla.org/units/information-literacy/ 
  1. Interview with Christy Scott.  
  1. Education and Research (n.d.). Walla Walla University. https://www.wallawalla.edu