How To Come Back From a Bad Haircut

How To Come Back From a Bad Haircut

For One of Those Occasions 

By Sienna Day 

Coming back from a horrendous haircut can be difficult at best, but there are ways to work around your new do. 

The “Cousin Itt” look. Photo by Gratisography. 

You wake up to the crow of a rooster, the sun shining, and cheerful music playing in your head. Today you are going to get that much anticipated haircut. After grabbing your wallet and keys, you head out the door and do a little dance. Today is going to be a brilliant day! 

The hair salon is as radiant as the sky outside, and the hairdresser even more so. You show her a picture of the look you’re going for and settle down into the salon chair. Now all you need to do is sit there and relax, trusting that your hairdresser will do a fantastic job. 

Except that this time, they didn’t. Apparently your hairdresser Edna was convinced that your hair needed more than a trim. In fact, she decided the picture of the hair you “wanted” was not right for your head, so she decided to improvise. 

This look should be familiar to you if a bad haircut is familiar to you. Photo by Andrea Piacquadio. 

A bit of lime green here, a sprinkle of mustard yellow there. Edna even thought a section of faded salmon on the top would make your eyes pop. 

Let’s just say it’s something akin to Medusa mixed with the Mad Hatter. To put it kindly: your hair is one-of-a-kind. 

Hands shaking, you reach into your pocket to pull out some cash. Edna is busy telling you how captivating and innovative your mane looks, but all you can do is mumble a quick thanks and let her keep the change—for the next month or so, you have decided to become a full-time hermit. 

Sometimes your hairdresser may look like this subconsciously. Photo by Eugene Chystiakov. 

It may seem like all hope is lost after this, and if you have ever had to come back from a bad haircut before, then you know it’s not an easy thing to do. 

This is especially true when some colorful locks peep through your hat and people on the street begin to stare. But I promise you, there is a way to come back from this. 

The first step is to have confidence. Until you can get your hair back to its former glory, you might as well flaunt what you got. If you’re confident that you look good, then others will notice that confidence and will be fools to judge you. 

If confidence isn’t enough, look into some extravagant headscarves or hats. The bolder the accessory, the less people will even notice that your haircut went south. 

If you still can’t handle all the looks people are giving you (or rather just the top half of you) then there are some coping techniques I can recommend until you book that next hair appointment. 

Listening to or reading anything you find amusing will teach you to smile about the current situation and laugh at yourself in the mirror (as opposed to crying). If you are looking for something funny to read, I obviously recommend The Collegian’s humor column. 

A relaxing paradise or your worst nightmare. Photo by Logan Weaver. 

If you have very loving friends, tell them to go to the same hairdresser as you (before showing them your own hair). This way, you can all be miserable together! However, this is only a good plan if your friends won’t hate you afterward for ruining their hair. 

If these two options are too laidback for you, suing the hairdresser may also help. Now, it may not be the healthiest way to cope per se, but if it works, it works, you know? That’s what you get for wrecking my hair, Edna! 

Lastly, there is one more thing you can do, but it is only for the most desperate—those who are done with their hair for good after that “bad haircut” fiasco. There is nothing wrong with going bald, and it’s something you can do on your own (I think) with just a razor (or something similar, I’ve never gone bald myself). 

As I said, although getting a bad haircut is terribly, horribly, and atrociously appalling, it is not the end of the world (seriously, it’s not). I just hope you learned the most important life lesson in this entire article: never trust a hairdresser.