I Met Maggie the Dragon

I Met Maggie the Dragon

A Completely Believable Memoir 

By Sienna Day 

Everyone’s heard of dragons, right? Fiery, flying reptiles that tear through the sky on wings of wrath, destroying everything in their path? 

Well, it turns out that this is a misconception about their kind, and one that I feel obligated to address, seeing as I met one over spring break. She was very nice. 

What everyone THINKS dragons are like. Photo by Craig Adderley.

It all started on one warm, spring afternoon when I was hiking in the forest and got lost (staying on the trail is like using a GPS—it’s cheating). I remember trying to test the direction of the wind by seeing which side of the tree had moss growing on it, when all of a sudden, a dragon landed right beside me! 

Yes, a real life dragon. Obviously I was terrified (albeit awestruck) upon seeing this emerald green creature. I was even more shocked to notice that its wings were feathered, not bat-like. It even seemed to be smiling at me! 

I immediately fell on my gluteus maximus and scrambled backwards. That was when I heard the creature sigh. She told me that she was used to this reaction from lost travelers and all she wanted to do was help, but for some reason her conversations with people always ended up with them screaming and running away like chickens with their heads cut off. 

A very real baby dragon only pretending to be a statue. Photo by David Floyd.

Of course, this was another surprise to me. Not the running and screaming of course, because I had felt that urge myself. No, the shock came from the dragon’s ability to speak to me. Not going to lie, small talk is not what I thought the dragon had in mind. 

I stood up and shook all the dirt and bugs from my clothes before asking way too many questions which, thinking back on it, probably sounded like gibberish to the dragon since she just stood there with the most confused look on her face. 

After about a solid minute of asking questions nonstop, I had to stop and force myself to breathe. In my break from talking, the dragon was finally able to get a word in. She introduced herself as Maggie (no, not something like “Smaug” or “Toothless”). 

She told me dragons actually lived all over the place, and that they were just in hiding most of the time because humans always wanted to kill them or, worse, ride them (frankly, I thought she ought to get her priorities straight). 

What Maggie would look like… if she was gray… and a Statue. Photo by Alyzah K. 

That was when we both noticed that it was getting dark, and she told me that I would have to wait until tomorrow for her to help me get un-lost. 

That was perfectly fine with me, since meeting a dragon was just about the coolest thing to ever happen to me! The rest of the night we just stayed up talking about random things like what human life was like (boring without dragons), what dragons ate (Maggie was fond of s’mores and even made some on the spot for me!), and even what a dragon does for fun (people-watching). 

After staring at the stars for some time and telling ghost stories, we finally laid down to get some rest. As you might imagine, I felt pretty safe from wild animals while I was next to a literal dragon, even if that dragon was Maggie. 

The next morning I woke up to cooked fish and wild berries that Maggie had prepared (I still don’t know how she picked the berries with her claws…), then we set out on foot back to the trail. When we got there I gave Maggie a big hug and asked if I would ever see her again. She said probably not, but that we could still stay in touch via homing pigeon and promptly gave me her address: 

Maggie Embers 

The Second Cave by the Waterfall  

Silver Falls State Park, Oregon, The United States of Emarica (I didn’t have the heart to tell her “America” was spelled wrong). 

After that, we parted ways and I went on to write this article for The Collegian to educate people about dragons.