Letter From the Editor

Letter From the Editor

By Josh Beaudoin 

Hello Everyone, 

The year is almost at an end. This is our second to last issue, and a very exciting one at that. Our theme is climate change, and we talk about nuclear energy, hypocrisy in climate activism, and what you can do to reduce your carbon emissions. We also have a couple editorials, including one from our incoming editor-in-chief for next year, Ashley Herber. 

There seems to be a divide between conservatives and liberals on this topic (surprise). Liberals propose ridiculous plans like the Green New Deal and talk on CNN about how the world is ending. Conservatives like to pretend we can just ignore climate change and hope it magically goes away. Either we focus on the economy, or we focus on the climate. In reality, it looks like we can do both; that capitalistic self-interest will also result in lower long-term carbon emissions and better mitigate the effects of climate change. In the process, it will lift hundreds of millions of people out of poverty and allow children to enjoy richer lives than their parents.  

This isn’t fantasy, and it’s already been happening for decades. By far the best book I’ve ever read on climate change, and which outlines real solutions to fight it, is “Apocalypse Never” by Michael Shellenberger, a climate activist and journalist. I highly recommend it. 

If you want to work for our super awesome team next year, be sure to apply through the ASWWU website. Thanks for such a great year! 

Josh Beaudoin 

Editor-in-Chief