Combating Teams Fatigue

Combating Teams Fatigue

Girl sitting at desk with computer.

Think back to February. What did the word “teams” mean? Maybe it implied sports or game nights. Now, however, “teams” brings up vastly different connotations.  

Joelle Townsend, a freshman secondary education and English major, said, “In May, I deleted Teams off my phone and computer and was like, ‘I am never using this again.’ Then I had to redownload it for college and it felt like a weight had been placed back on me.” [1] 

Microsoft Teams has taken over academic life and leaves many wondering if they can bear one more meeting. So how can one combat the exhaustion brought on by “Teams fatigue?” A few of Walla Walla University’s students and faculty have some advice: 

Jordan Manteghi, a junior physical education major, said, “One thing that has helped me is taking breaks away from any sort of screen, especially between classes.” [2] 

Brianna Johnson, a senior elementary education major, suggests to “get blue light glasses… and move to a new room or position at least once a class period.” [3] 

Assistant professor of health and physical education, Mike Hellie, urges to “engage in activities that allow you to get involved in caring for others… and [be] mindful of what you’re fueling your body with, especially your intake of water and high-fiber foods.” [4] 

Michelle Naden, director of WWU’s Counseling and Testing Center, also has some helpful guidance. Naden recommends getting outside to focus on something other than screens. “Your eyes and your brain need you to look far into the distance. This is necessary for the brain to reset and feel like it is resting,” she said. [5] Naden also recommends trying to “reconnect to a memory that has good feelings attached to it” during particularly difficult days. [6] 

Computer keyboard with hands

She also encourages contemplating solutions that will make one feel better in the long term. Though temporary solutions are easy, long-term changes will bring the best, lasting benefits. [7] 

Naden’s final encouragement is to go to WWU’s Counseling and Testing Center’s webpage and check out the free links to group and individual coaching with Synchronous Health and walk-in and in-state counseling sessions with the University. There are also links to WWU’s Student Health and Wellness resources, including how to sign up for the you@college website and TalkCampus app. [8] 

The online environment can be exhausting, but there are opportunities to heal all around. No one is truly alone. 

[REFERENCES] 

1 Interview with Joelle Townsend, 9/24/2020. 

2. Interview with Jordan Manteghi, 9/24/2020.  

3. Interview with Brianna Johnson, 9/24/2020. 

4. Interview with Mike Hellie, 9/24/2020. 

5. Interview with Michelle Naden, 9/24/2020. 

6. Ibid 

7. Ibid