Is WWU Inclusive to All Faith Types?

Is WWU Inclusive to All Faith Types?

The Experience of Non-Adventists at WWU

By Lauren Vizcarra

Walla Walla University is a private Seventh-day Adventist university—but that doesn’t mean all the students who attend the school are, themselves, Adventist.  

Katelyn Huesby, senior mechanical engineering major, is a Lutheran. She went to public schools for elementary and high school before attending WWU. She chose WWU because it is close to home, she had friends who attend school here, and because she wanted to attend a college that would grow her character and faith. [1] 

Don’t forget to say “hi” to Katelyn if you see her on campus! Photo by Katelyn Huesby

One of the things that Huesby loves about a Christian college versus a public school is finally being able to express her faith. She enjoys the worships and CommUnities that take place at WWU. “I have never been in a place where they take so much time to nurture your faith,” Huesby said. [2] 

Huesby observed how the Adventist world seems to be a tight-knit one and everyone appears to know one other. This made it hard, at first, to make new friends. Despite the initial feelings of being on the outside, she quickly found the Adventist students to be welcoming. [3] 

Danielle Setniker, senior English major, considers herself a non-denominational Protestant. While she’s in the Walla Walla area, though, she attends an Assembly of God church. According to Setniker, the professors were a big reason why she chose to attend Walla Walla University. [4] 

Find Danielle this quarter in a comfy sweater and a book. Photo by Danielle Setinker

As a non-Adventist, Setniker feels that there is definitely a “Sabbath culture,” as she referred to it. The concept of the Sabbath was introduced to her after coming to WWU, and she chose to adapt the no homework rule that many Adventist students follow to her day of rest on Sunday.[5] 

Vegetarianism was completely new to both girls. Setniker revealed that eating non-meat products was one of the hardest things she had to get used to. Huesby noted how she found it weird that that was the only food the cafeteria served. [6] 

In theology, Huesby and Setniker have similar views on hell. Huesby believes that hell is just a separation from God and not a place where souls go to burn. Setniker believes in an eternal hell where non-believers’ punishment is separation from God.  

The Seventh-day Adventist church does not believe in an eternally burning hell, meaning that the people who don’t go to heaven die a final death in the “lake of fire.” [7] Although they have a difference of opinion from the traditional Adventist faith, both girls say that does not mean that they can’t respect the Adventist viewpoint. [8] 

A Seventh-day Adventist doctrine that Huesby and Setniker do agree with is that humanity is saved through grace, by faith, and not by works. They both believe in The Trinity and that Jesus died on the cross to save humanity from their sins. [9] 

APA Citation  

1. Interview with Katelyn Huesby, 1/13/21. 
  1. Interview with Danielle Setniker, 1/13/21. 
  1. Interview with Katelyn Huesby, 1/13/21 and interview with Danielle Setniker, 1/13/21. 
  1. See Revelation 20:15. 
  1. Interview with Katelyn Huesby, 1/13/21 and interview with Danielle Setniker, 1/13/21.