Long Term Budget

Long Term Budget

ASWWU Long Term Project Fund 

By Matthew Peinado 

From social activities to student government, ASWWU’s influence on student life is all-encompassing. One responsibility of ASWWU’s senate is the management of the long-term project fund. The Collegian sat down with Wils Haffner, president of the senate, to discuss the long-term project fund, and Mitchell Powers, ASWWU spiritual vice president to discuss a potential future project.  

The following is a transcript of the interviews. Questions and answers have been edited for clarity.  

Q: Could you introduce yourself? 

Hafner: My name is Wils Hafner. I’m the executive vice president of ASWWU which makes me president of the senate and head of the long-term project fund committee. I’m also a senior business major. 

Q: What is the long-term project fund? 

Hafner: The long-term project fund was an idea that was created around the formation of The Atlas. Every year ASWWU puts in $20,000 and, until recently, all the excess funds from the previous year into a fund. This fund can’t be touched until it reaches $80,000 at which point a large project will be chosen that will affect all of the students. 

Q: What are some past long-term projects? 

Hafner: The Atlas and the rock wall. It’s a relatively new prospect. The Atlas was also a precursor, the rock wall is the only official long-term project.  

Q: How long until the next long-term project? 

Hafner: Right now the fund is at about $60,000 so it won’t open until next year when we add another $20,000. Once we reach that $80,000 threshold students can present. 

Q: How is the long-term project determined? 

Hafner: Other parties can come to the long-term project committee and present their project ideas. Last year the rock wall was presented first. They showed us how much money it would cost, exactly what they would need, and overall did a great job. After that, the committee chooses the best project, and then the senate votes on it.  

Q: What would you like to see done with the long-term project fund? 

Hafner: I would like to see it done away with. I think it’s somewhat a divisive project. When it comes to it, there are very few things every student wants, needs, or feels would represent them. To take such a large sum of money and use it on something that not all students would benefit from is pretty flawed.  

Q: What would you recommend for students who have an idea for a project? 

Hafner: Start researching now. Get all of your homework done. Start prepping for the presentation now. Knock it out of the park. Try to present first when the time comes. [1] 

Mitchell Powers, ASWWU spiritual vice president sat down to voice his thoughts for a potential long-term project.  

Q: Could you introduce yourself? 

Powers: Yeah, I’m Mitchell Powers, I’m a senior theology major, and ASWWU spiritual vice president.  

Q: Tell me about your plans for the long-term project. 

Powers: Well the plan is to buy and renovate the house right next to the Atlas and develop it into a student space.  

Q: Could you expand on that a bit? 

Powers: Yeah, we would gut it first, just like the Atlas. Completely renovate and modernize the inside of the building. New paint, new lighting, new floors, all of that. Then we would also take the outside area right next to the two buildings and turn it into an updated more used student space as well. We could get new sound equipment and make an open mic type place, you know there are lots of things. There’s also the idea of extending it with The Atlas, so we’d actually physically connect the two buildings in some way. 

Q: What are the logistics for this project? 

Obviously, we need to have the house inspected, but ultimately it should be under the $80,000 limit. Once we get the quote and the time for the project opens we’ll take our proposal to the senate and go through all the proper channels. As I understand it’s too late to make anything really happen this year, but hopefully next year we’ll have everything ready. [2] 

The long-term project fund presentations should open in the fall of 2022. If you have an idea for a project, start your preparation as soon as you can.