Not That Kellogg

Not That Kellogg

The History of The Cafeteria’s Name 

By Matthew Peinado 

The Walla Walla University cafeteria is one of the most used buildings on campus. Not to be confused with John Harvey Kellogg, the influential leader in the early Seventh-day Adventist Church, Kellogg hall is actually named after Earnest Clinton Kellogg. 

After a life of education in the south and midwest, Earnest was elected as president of Walla Walla College in 1911. He spent 6 years as president before returning to school to obtain both an M.D. and Ph.D.  

Walla Walla College’s first decade of existence was challenged with problems of disease, enrollment loss, and debt. In the years following 1900, the future of WWC was uncertain. By 1910, many of these problems were resolved as president Kellogg started his administration at the school.  

Kellogg was widely well regarded. In an editorial from the Gleaner at the time, the author wrote, “Professor Kellogg has proved himself equal to the important and arduous duties incumbent on a college president. No task has been too large for him; none too small to receive his attention.” [1] 

Kellogg set the goal of reorienting WWC to feed the mind, body, and spirit. Feeling that the college had only focused on the latter two aspects, Kellogg sought to make WCC more “collegiate” in nature.  

A black seal with a lit oil lamp, an open bible,  and a plow in a field under a tree. The words physical mental spiritual are in a triangle in the center around a yin yang symbol.
Kellogg minted the official seal for Walla Walla College, showing his dedication to honing the mind, body, and spirit.

It was under Kellogg’s leadership that in 1916, Walla Walla College changed its academic requirements which are largely similar today. The adoption and requirement of 120 semester hours, a “C” average, and a selection of courses outside of the students’ specified interests were instituted during this time. 

Throughout this period, Walla Walla College also saw an increase in teachers, students, and buildings. 

One of Kellogg’s greatest contributions was the expansion of student activities and involvement on campus. According to 60 Years of Progress, a book that comprehensively depicts WWC history, “In May 1914 President Kellogg arranged for the organization of a Collegiate Association… One of their first acts was to lay plans for publishing a booklet called the Western Collegian.” According to Bold Adventure, another comprehensive history of WCC, The Western Collegian was the school’s first yearbook. Two years later,  the first issue of The Collegian, a monthly magazine, was published. [2–3] 

1.  (n.d.). The Gleaner. 
  1. International Printing Pressmen and Assistants’ Union of North America. (1950). 60 Years of progress.  
  1. Aamodt, T. D. (1992). Bold venture: A history of Walla Walla College. The College.