The End For Now

The End For Now

Reflecting on the 2021-2022 School Year With Trevor Haugen 

By Matthew Peinado 

The 2021-2022 year at Walla Walla University has been filled with ups and downs for all students. It was the first year ASWWU has been back in full swing since COVID-19 cases first swept the nation in early 2020. The Collegian spoke with Trevor Haugen, president of ASWWU over the last year, to discuss successes, challenges, and future plans he has made over the last year.  

The following is a transcript of the interview with Haugen. Questions and answers have been edited for clarity. 

Q: Could you introduce yourself? 

Haugen: Sure, my name is Trevor Haugen. I’m a senior majoring in health science and pre-medicine with a minor in chemistry. I’m also the president of ASWWU for the 2021-2022 school year. 

Q: Congratulations on getting elected last year. What were some of your expectations going into that position? 

Haugen: I knew it was gonna busy, it was gonna be fun, but most of all it would be a growing experience. That definitely turned out to be true for me. Going into it, it was more different in that I didn’t realize how broad the position of president actually is. 

As president, I had to realize that you have to look for places that are weak in ASWWU and help those areas where you can. There’s a lot of conflict management, a lot of doing odd jobs, too. For example, picking up hay and snow for rail jam. Just doing lots of random things different departments need.  

The grunt of my job was different meetings. Probably 10-15 hours a week would be spent on different meetings, often representing the students. 

Q: What do you think were some of the successes ASWWU had this last year? 

Haugen: I think overall, our team did a really good job establishing what ASWWU is again. Making events that established what ASWWU does for students. We also used our money really well, not using it where we didn’t need to. We ended up even being able to come out under budget which is great for next year since there are going to be cuts. 

Along with that, we were able to take care of turnover problems, able to make some major fixes to the website, and also put together Adventist Intercollegiates Abroad again. AIA is a meeting that brings all the Adventist student associations together for a series of meetings.  

Q: What were some of the challenges throughout the year? 

Haugen: For me, it was definitely conflict management. For privacy’s sake, I won’t say any names but there was definitely some conflict that needed to be handled inside of ASWWU. I think it was handled well, but it was still a learning experience. It was hard to find a balance of disciplining other college students that are your peers.  

Q: This is your last year at WWU, how does that feel? 

Haugen: It’s mostly sad. I’ll miss this place a lot. I’m not necessarily intimidated since I’ll be going to more school. Before I go to medical school, I’m taking the next year to take a year abroad. I’ll be going to Spain, Costa Rica, and Greece. In Spain, I’ll take Spanish classes in Spain, a medical terminology class in Costa Rica, and then work in a refugee camp in Greece. [1] 

1. Interview with Trevor Haugen, 05/31/22. 
From the camera’s perspective, there is the dark silhouette of the band on stage and the crowd visible before them. The crowd is full of hands in the air and excited faces, as well as white and gold confetti in the air.
Battle of the Bands was one of ASWWU’s most successful events this past school year, perhaps the first time pre-covid energy was brought back to WWU’s campus.