The Mask Controversy

The Mask Controversy

How Mask Usage on Campus is Viewed by Students and Staff 

By Ashley Herber 

With the recent COVID-19 outbreak on campus, Walla Walla University has further emphasized the importance of following the COVID-19 guidelines. One of these guidelines, mask usage, has sparked some controversy this quarter and revealed the differing opinions of Walla Walla University students.  

Yasha Moskalets, freshman electrical engineering major, says, “I feel that the masks are a great idea to keep students safe, however, in certain places I feel they are unnecessary, like when walking outside or in line for the cafeteria. The majority of people sitting at the tables in the cafeteria do not have masks on, making it difficult to see their purpose in that environment.” [1] 

Valerie Panossian, freshman business major, says, “It’s frustrating to see people not caring and not simply wearing a mask, because at this point, one or a couple people’s actions can ruin it for everybody. In the end, we’re just trying to protect each other and if that means wearing a mask and taking precautions, so be it.” [2] 

Polls taken on The Collegian Instagram help to shed more light on what the student body thinks about mask usage: [3] 

Art by Belicia Jiao
Art by Belicia Jiao
Art by Belicia Jiao
Art by Belicia Jiao
Art by Belicia Jiao

David Iwasa, assistant vice president for student life and the dean of students, explains that for the most part, students have been doing well at wearing their masks on campus. It is when students are off campus with friends that masks tend to go unused. [4] 

Walla Walla University requires masks to be worn everywhere on and off campus except when eating, alone in a dorm room, or taking a shower. These policies are laid out in the interim code of conduct infectious disease addendum found in the student handbook. [5] 

Failure to adhere to the mask policies is a violation of the code of conduct, which explains that a first-time offender will usually be met with an educational reminder, but if the violation continues, more drastic disciplinary measures will be taken. These measures can range from a verbal warning all the way to dismissal. [6] 

Citations: 

1. Interview with Yasha Moskalets, 11/4/2020. 
  1. Interview with Valerie Panossian, 11/5/2020. 
  1. Instagram poll conducted by The Collegian, 11/3/2020. 
  1. Interview with David Iwasa, 11/3/2020.