Super Snow Sports

Super Snow Sports

The Lesser-known Sports of the Snowy Season 

By Emma Echelmeier 

Skiing and snowboarding are basic winter activity staples, but what about ski biking, snowkiting, or shark ice-fishing?  

Snowkiting/kiteboarding in the Columbia River Gorge. Photo by traveloregon.com. 

Sports such as ice-skating, snow-tubing, and snowshoeing are well known and great activities to enjoy each winter. Even ice climbing is relatively common around the Pacific Northwest, and most of us know about dogsledding because of “Balto” or one of the other dogsledding movies. 

These next snow sports are quite unique and only found in specific locations around the world. 

Ski biking is exactly what it sounds like. Instead of wheels, this bike has skis. The concept is the same as downhill skiing or snowboarding, but naturally a little more difficult. This sport is extremely popular in Colorado, where an international ski bike festival is held annually in the Rocky Mountains.1 

Similar to kitesurfing, snowkiters, or kiteboarders, fly a power kite while boarding or skiing down snowy slopes.2 The power kite, and hopefully moderate winds, should pull the snowkiter into the air. Theoretically, skis or a snowboard aren’t even needed for this downhill adventure.3 Some of the top snowkiting places in the world are in Canada, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, and Oregon.4 

Iceboats lined up and ready for some sailing action. Photo By iceboat.org. 

Another unique winter sport is The Greenland Shark Challenge, a winter activity in which fishers try to capture Greenland’s biggest and oldest shark.5 The challenge is held in March every year, in a coastal town off Greenland.6 This shark is very common and is said to be easy to catch for natives. 

Finland offers go-karting on ice, or ice karting.7 This sport is exactly what it sounds like. Race against strangers or family in this cold competition. Medals are awarded to winners at the end.8 

Unlike the other winter sports, this one in Korea will get you wet. Polar bear swimming is quite a thrilling experience. The Polar Bear Swim is an annual swim competition held in Busan, South Korea.9 Every Jan. 1, thousands of people come to the shore to either join or watch the chilling swim take place.10 It is a Korean tradition that is said to welcome in the New Year with good health.11 

Lastly, Poland offers sail racing across their frozen waters.12 The lakes freeze over, allowing for special iceboats to be pulled by the wind across the frozen water. Racing competitions are held for those with more experience.13  

These winter sports are not the first that come to mind when thinking about what to do in the winter. They are definitely interesting to learn about, and maybe even something to give a try someday! 

Citations 

1. Schrope, M. (2014, October 24). Mysterious giant sharks may be everywhere. BBC. Retrieved from https://rb.gy/55bmee.  
  1. Sood, S. (2010, December 24). Top 10 unusual winter sports. BBC. Retrieved from https://rb.gy/hiyhop. 
  1. Schrope, M. (2014, October 24). Mysterious giant sharks may be everywhere. BBC. Retrieved from https://rb.gy/55bmee.