The Interconnection of Walla Walla University’s Trees

The Massive Trees on Campus That are Essential to Walla Walla University Life 

By Emma Echelmeier 

The trees on campus are important to students and faculty because they connect us to the outdoors and one another.   

Strolling along one of the many pathways leading to and from residence halls, the cafeteria, and classes, it is hard to miss the spectacular trees of Walla Walla University looming above.  

A look through the shady trees and onto the campus library. Photo from unigo.com.

With the iconic green of the trees and the blue sky filled with puffy white clouds, every time a person looks up, they see a masterpiece. The trees bring a sense of connectedness and protection, among other feelings, to staff and students alike. 

The lovely atmosphere of campus would not be complete without shaded grassy yards to appreciate or lounge on. During the warmer months, many students use the areas to hammock, slackline, cool off, or just as a spot to have good conversation. It can be a great place to meet new people and socialize. 

While it is a wonderful place to be, the trees produce lots and lots of leaves, and sometimes it feels like they will never stop falling! Especially on windy days, leaves swirl into the air and eventually cover everything on the ground. 

Thanks to the amazing groundskeeping team, the WWU campus is always looking amazing. 

Trees crowd campus buildings on College Ave. Photo from wallawalla.com

The trees are the perfect environment for the many squirrels and birds seen living on campus. The squirrels especially get lots of attention when they scurry up into the trees and out of sight. In addition to the trees, the small animals who live here are another aspect of life on campus. 

Having trees on campus reminds students to get outside, even if it is just a small study break. They remind anyone walking through campus of nature’s beauty, and to appreciate the small glimpse into God’s creation, even if it is just through the trees seen in their daily lives. 

Because the trees have been around for so long, they add a sense of history to campus: the past of WWU itself, the people who have attended or graduated, and the future of current students. It seems like a lot to get from the trees, but if WWU means something to the students, it is connection, and the trees have definitely played a role in that.