Pro and Con of Draftee Marriages (in 1943)

January 28, 1943 

Probably the two greatest problems which face a young person today are the choices of his life work and his life companion. In the days of Israel, it was the custom for a newly wedded groom to be exempt from military and business duties for one year following his marriage. (Deut. 24:5). He was to be “free at home,” to “cheer up his wife.” 

But times have changed, and war complicates the matter of marriage. Shall we marry in spite of war, or wait until it is over? This is a question of importance today. 

Students of the college have their ideas on the subject, and here are some of the reasons offered in support of their views. 

Why a man in service or facing induction should not marry: 

Robert Youngberg: A real man would remain faithful to his fiancée even if he were not married to her, because genuine love will weather the storm of war, if it is not genuine, their attitudes might change and their affection die in the years of separation, then if they were married, that would be tragic. 

Leslie Christensen: Suppose the husband should return in a maimed condition, unable to carry the financial and other burdens of a home, what then? Could the wife overlook this? Or if he did not return at all, could she forget him? 

Earl Mooers: A married man is not so useful as a soldier, because he will not take the chances he would if single, thus losing the one big quality that the government looks for in solders. If he were killed, his widow would find it harder to get a second husband than would a single woman her first. If he left children, they might comprise added financial demands on the wife, her parents, or on Uncle Sam. However, there is a great difference between marriages of short acquaintance and those of long acquaintance. If a boy and girl have been going together for a year or so, and know each other well, their marriage is likely to last. But too often such is not true in war-time. Hurried marriages, contracted after a few days’ acquaintance, will likely be based on mere infatuation and would not last even in peace time. This kind of war wedding is reprehensible. 

Favoring war marriages are:  

Adele Dorland: A man will fight better and work harder to end the war if he has a big stake in his country, he will feel that there is a reason to win this war if he has a wife at home waiting for him. Then, too, the world cannot go on without homes; so marriage, even in war-time, is excusable. 

Kathryn Raley: Those who marry are building a foundation for the world after this crisis is over as well as fixing something to give them courage to carry through. 

Walter Siemsen: Who should get married? Those whose love is true, whose love has borne the rest of time, who are aware of the possibilities, and who have sought the blessing of God on their plans.