Reaction to Ben-Hur

Reaction to Ben-Hur

By Dean Tupper, Spiritual Vice President ASWWC 

Published on February 11, 1982 

As the spiritual vice president of the ASWWC, I have a keen interest in the religious programs presented on and near the campus. It is due to this interest that I am writing this letter. 

I am of the opinion that anything that does not promote a growing relationship with Jesus Christ should be avoided, for by beholding we become changed. 

Along with the credits in the film Ben Hur shown Feb. 6, appeared the words, “Tale of the Christ.” Upon later reflection this seemed rather ludicrous for the story was focused on a man driven with vengeance and hatred.  

The number of scenes in which we did see Jesus could be counted on one hand. However, that is not my main point. 

An old-fashioned newspaper on a table in black and white

Now, I have nothing against blood. I have quite a bit of it actually. But the vivid detail with which blood torn flesh, suffering and pain was displayed made me wonder if Jesus could have comfortably sat through the film and given His full blessing. And since when do we cheer at a man being thrust through with a spear or having his head set on fire? 

I write this letter not pointing a finger or demanding anything. What I want is for us to “come and reason together.’ 

Finally friends, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worth of praise, let your mind dwell on these things.