Walla Walla University?

Walla Walla University?

By Bryan Brashear 

Published on September 28, 2006 

Walla Walla College has held its name for 114 years since 1892, and this weekend marks another try to make a change to a legacy we know and love. There are three choices of names which some Walla Walla College students, faculty, and staff were surveyed on: Northwest Adventist University, Walla Walla University, and Walla Walla Adventist University. The expressed need for the name change is related to our graduate degree status and our recognition with college grant providers. This weekend Walla Walla College is holding its annual constituency meeting in Portland, Oregon. As a representative of the student body, I will be heading west to share your views and opinions. Please email me at brasbr@wwc.edu with your thoughts. 

New WWC President 

Walla Walla Welcomes John McVay 

By Jessica Swena 

Published on September 28, 2006 

Walla Walla College’s new president, Dr. John McVay, is father of two, and the counterpart of Mrs. Pam Aalborg McVay, who is an obstetrics nurse and dedicated mom of Marshall, 18 and Macy, 14. McVay was born in Corvallis, Oregon, and managed to venture outside the northwest for many years after feeling inspired by his father’s ministry as pastor and hospital chaplain during John’s early years. These inspirations led John down a pathway of ministry that started with working as a Youth Pastor during college in Des Moines, Iowa. After graduating from Southern Adventist University and finishing up between Andrews University and England’s Sheffield University he was awarded a Ph. D. in New Testament studies in 1995. Since that time he has worked in a variety of areas including Professor of New Testament studies and Associate Dean from 1998 to 2000. Also, he was Dean of the Seventh-day Theological Seminary from 2000 to 2006. In addition to these areas of experience he also spent a fair amount of time in California, working as Senior Pastor of the PUC Church, as well as in the PUC Religion department. He came to the Walla Walla area this past summer and is already contributing greatly to the Walla Walla College leadership, through his excellent devotional thoughts in the college church vespers and chapel services.