Should Best Friends be Roommates?

Should Best Friends be Roommates?

The Perspective of Hailey Bischoff  

By Summer Boulais 

Hailey Bischoff, junior business administration major, has been best friends with her roommate for over six years. Bischoff and Savannah Zamora, junior social work major, heard the phrase “don’t room with your best friend in college” all throughout high school, but they decided not to listen to this saying and became roommates last spring. This led to the discovery that they loved living together.  

For Bischoff and Zamora’s first year at the University, they decided not to room together. They wanted to experience meeting someone new and rooming with them. The fear of losing their friendship after rooming together, as the saying went, led to this decision.  

Bischoff expressed how she missed her best friend during their freshman year and felt like she didn’t get to see her enough. They proved the rumors wrong when they got the chance to be on campus again and room together last spring quarter. “It was nice to see each other every night and tell each other about our days,” Bischoff said. [1]  

Often, people won’t see their roommate until the evening after all their classes are done. Bischoff and Zamora have different majors with opposite schedules, so they appreciate the time they have together in the dorm at night. “It’s nice to have extra support from your best friend after a rough day. She is always there for me, and we can talk about it which helps make me feel better,” Bischoff described. [2] 

One of the most important aspects of living with someone is communication. Bischoff suggested, “Be willing to overcommunicate instead of under communicate.” [3] Often, the closer you are to someone, the easier it is to talk to them about things that are bothering you.  

Bischoff’s Dorm Room. The twinkle lights and fuzzy blankets help Bischoff and Zamora’s room have a cute and cozy theme. Photo taken by Hailey Bischoff.

For those who are unsure if they should room with their best friend, Bischoff advised to “follow your gut.” [4] Make sure that you and the person you want to room with have a similar living style. Bischoff and Zamora found that they have the same level of organization somewhere between super clean and overly messy.  

Knowing yourself is also an important part of having a successful living situation. Having a close friendship with someone before living with them can allow you to know their habits already. This can help friends decide if they think they’d be a good match together in the dorm.  

Though you will be living separate lives, rooming together may help you grow closer to one another. “It is fun being able to go on Walmart runs or get food without having to text or call,” Bischoff described. [5] The two best friends look forward to seeing each other every night instead of having to contact each other to make plans.  

A roommate can become more than someone you live with if you want them too. Whether you were already best friends or not, you may find yourself growing closer and closer to that person as you live together. Best friends who communicate well can successfully be roommates and keep their friendship.  

1. Interview with Hailey Bischoff, 10/29/21.  

2-5. Ibid.